Monday, March 3, 2014

Crepes and the Oscars

I started my first week of new cooking with something fairly easy: crepes.  I love everything about crepes.  I could probably eat a crepe everyday of my life.   When deciding on which crepe to create, between breakfast and dessert, I couldn't so I made both (if you couldn't tell by now, my decision-making skills is not my strong point).  Surprisingly, crepe batter is unbelievably easy to make.  Flour, milk, water and eggs mixed together in bowl.  The real feat was the cooking of the crepe.  I would like to give a shout out to all you crepe artist out there that make crepe cooking look easy.  By the end of the batch I think I got the hang of it, but I am a far ways away from opening up my own crepe shop. My breakfast crepe consisted of egg, homemade breakfast potatoes, and cheese, topped with some home made hollandaise sauce.  I've been wanting to try making hollandaise sauce for a while now, and I'm glad I did because it was AWESOME.  And extremely easy.  In my breakfast crepe I put nutella, strawberries, bananas, and a dollop of homemade whipped cream, which was absolutely delicious.  I say my food venture this week went fairly well.
BEST PART: NUTELLA NUTELLA NUTELLA
WORST PART: 3 hours in the kitchen and a ridiculous amount of dishes. 

The fishbowl has been started!  I've added a few movies, but there are definitely a lot more coming.  In honor of the Oscars I decided to make a special edition Oscars fishbowl with movies that were nominated (not just best picture, but the movies of supporting actor/actress nominees, best animation, etc).  I picked August Osage County, with Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep, but you can guarantee that the rest of the movies I didn't pick are going straight into the real fish bowl for future watching. I really enjoyed August Osage County.  I LOVE Meryl, so any movie with her in it is fine by me.  The movie is about a (dysfunctional) family that is brought back together after the father, Meryl Streep's husband in the movie, is found dead after he went missing a few days before.  The movie focuses on the odd family dynamic between the characters, and uses the relationships within the family to drive the storyline.  Definitely a good watch.  FYI, there is a curve ball towards the end of the movie that will give you an "OMG" moment.  
BEST PART: Meryl Streep and Julia Robert's amazing performances (oh and we can forget Benedict Cumberbatch...meow)
WORST PART: The ending.  It had me saying to myself "Really?  That's it?  That's how they're going to end it?"  It's safe to say that the ending was somewhat of a disappointment to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment